Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Bobbins, Blankets and Bleeps

I had this wonderful idea about a month ago to sew a baby blanket for one of my best friends for her baby shower. I’d seen this cute idea for a baby blanket made from soft flannel with ribbon tabs and I found this excellent video that walks you through making your own from start to finish here 

The blanket essentially went together with no problems (remember I’m not an experienced sewer and if I could manage this project from a YouTube video, so can you!)… until the last step. After turning the blanket right-side out you are supposed to stitch all the way around to secure the opening you just pulled the blanket through and finish off the edges. I decided it would be cute to use the zig zag stitch for this and add a little fun to the piece. 50+ tries later with the zig zag stitch and countless hours with my seam ripper and pulling out thread I was about ready to pull my hair out! !@#$%^&!!!

Me with my seam ripper yet again. We are becoming best friends!
Luckily, I had my sewing class the other night and… teacher to the rescue! I’m happy to say that what I thought was total user error was only partially user error. If you don’t have your bobbin in correctly, the tension is off (I know, I know… go figure, right?!) and the zig zag stitch really shows the flaws. A quick lesson in how to properly place my bobbin and I was good to go. Wow, wish I had known that weeks ago as I struggled to figure out why it was I couldn’t sew a proper zig zag stitch. Nothing replaces a good teacher, the machines manual did not diagram the thread placement in the bobbin case very well.

So the blanket didn’t make its appearance at my friends shower last weekend, but it will make it in time for the sweet baby girl’s arrival.

Ready to be cuddled and snuggled and apart of the little one’s memories.
~Jennifer~

No comments:

Post a Comment