Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Thursday and that means Quilting Day

So it's Thursday and I attend my second quilting class in the evening. Learning to quilt has been a “to do” list item for me for about two years now. And after blog stocking Cluck Cluck Sew (thank you Allison) for the past year, I knew I wanted to create one of her fabulous patterns one day. I finally decided this past summer that after the wedding was over I was going to find a class. Let’s face it, leading up to the wedding there was no time to indulge in new hobbies; I was so busy making so many different things for the wedding. But I digress. It just so happens that timing is everything and upon arrival from our honeymoon we found out we were expecting our first child. I had to find a class! I needed to start making a quilt asap for the baby! 

The class I attend is held at a local high school and is an intimate setting with four students and our wonderfully sweet teacher. I’ve chosen the quilt pattern Shortcake from Cluck Cluck Sew, but have altered my fabric selection to fit a modern and classic boy’s nursery. The fabric I selected is a mix of various designers and collections, but mostly I’ve used fabrics from Michael Miller. I love the colors and the quality of this fabric. So easy to work with and so fun to look at!

Fabric is quickly becoming a new addiction, like pattern paper has been for me. Just so many wonderful patterns and prints in beautiful colors and textures. There may be a 12 step program in my future if my husband has his way, LOL!

As I mentioned I’m not a quilter (yet!), and this is my first attempt really at sewing anything. I’ve made a few clutches in the past and can fix a hem or tear usually, but a real project like a quilt, never! So to start this project I first had to undergo the huge undertaking of finding 12+ fabrics that would coordinate and would complement the nursery design I had in mind. This was easily imagined but not done. After several weekend outings and a number a fabric stores across two states, I selected my fabrics, I came up with a total of 12 fabrics.

Then came attending my first class so I would know exactly what to do with these beautiful creations. I was terrified to cut into them and make a mistake (perfectionist inside coming out).  Out came various strips of 2 ½” wide to be cut into the proper squares and rectangles for my quilt blocks.

Next up, learning to sew a straight line (no small feat). I don’t have a ¼” foot yet for my machine, which my teacher swears will be a night and day difference to my comfort, so I have to use my regular foot that came with my machine for now. A few wonky stitches and a love for my seam ripper (best invention ever!) I had my first two pieces together.A few more passes through the machine and my first block is complete!
 
Not bad for a first timer if I do say so myself! I think I can handle this quilting thing... so far.

Thanks for stopping to by to read, I know this was a longer post.

Keep making memories!
~Jennifer~

No comments:

Post a Comment